Thursday, January 28, 2010

Mass Effect 2: First thoughts



I picked up Mass Effect 2 on Tuesday and have had a chance to play it for about 5 hours or so and while it's still super early in the game, I have to admit that I'm not exactly blown away.

For the most part it's fun and the story is interesting however it doesn't really feel like it's diverging from the standard RPG formula enough. Just like in the first one you spend a good chunk of your time searching the galaxy for new party members to join your squad until you're ready to face the final "bad guy". This wouldn't be such a huge hassle but it just seems awfully familiar to Bioware's last game Dragon Age, which was essentially the exact same except it took place in a fantasy setting. It's not that I dislike that specific Bioware formula because it's still kind of fun, it's just that it's so predictable.



On the plus side there is some great dialogue and just like in the first one, you can be a nice guy and say the right thing, or be a prick and play it Jack Bauer style, which is what I do. I play by my own rules but I get the job done! The gameplay is also pretty solid with good shooting mechanics and level pacing. The only gameplay problem I've had on occasion is that the run button is also the "stick into cover button" so if some bad guy is up in your face and you try to run away (ahem) you might hypothetically press A to run but end up taking cover and getting sliced up by the bad guy.

Overall I'm still excited to get deeper into the game and see how the story develops. All of the super positive reviews can't be wrong so I'm sure things will get much better really soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment